A recent Jury Verdict Research nationwide study looked at truck accidents from 1996 to 2005 found that the truck accident victim prevailed and received damages in 60 percent of truck accident lawsuits.
What Is the Average Value of a Truck Accident Case?
The average compensation award of these verdicts was $90,000. Plaintiffs were more likely to prevail in and receive compensation in head-on truck crashes.
How Often Does the Victim Win a Truck Accident Case?
In these cases, the Plaintiffs prevailed 71% of the time and received an average jury award of $532,034. The average value of a fatal truck accident case was just over $1 million. For truck accident cases that involved a disc injury, the average award was $122,532. Three percent of the jury awards were over $5,000,000.
How Much Is a Truck Accident Soft Tissue Case Worth?
Interestingly, the average back strain injury in a truck accident was worth $17,667. While I do not know what the average back strain is nationally, it is less than $17,667. It appears the same injury in a truck accident case is worth more than the same injury from an automobile accident. Why? Truck accident cases have better defendants. What do I mean by better? They are more likely to settle for higher value because they do not have lawyers on hand in Maryland and because the adjuster are used to the higher number that are more frequent in truck accidents.
How Much Did Recent Truck Accident Cases in 2020 Settle For?
How Much Did Recent Truck Accident Cases in 2020 Settle For?
Going from the statistics to the specific, there are some recent truck accident settlements and jury verdicts. Don’t put too much stock in what a jury did in an individual case. But these are helpful.
- 2020, Louisiana: $16,755 Verdict A big rig backed into a parked vehicle while at a gas station. Its impact pushed the vehicle’s owner, who was pumping gas. She sustained soft-tissue injuries and anxiety from the incident. The truck driver and his employer contended that the collision was minor, and she suffered no injuries. The jury awarded the woman $16,755, comprising $6,755 in medical expenses and $10,000 in pain and suffering.
- 2020, Mississippi: $210,102 Verdict A big rig rear-ended a sedan that went off-road and landed in the shoulder lane. The sedan’s driver suffered the aggravation of his degenerative lumbar condition. He sought treatment two days after the crash. His neurosurgeon recommended a discectomy. He sought no further treatment. The man sued the self-employed truck driver, seeking damages. The truck driver’s counsel contended that the collision was only a bump and that his injuries were unrelated to the collision. The jury ruled in favor of the man, awarding him a $210,102 verdict.
- 2020, Virginia: $1,250,000 Settlement The plaintiff construction worker was standing near a flatbed truck he was helping unload. A commercial trash truck sideswiped the flatbed truck. The man was caught between the two vehicles. He suffered fractures to his ribs and back and wounds to his right leg and foot. The man was left with permanent deformities and chronic lymphedema. The case settled for $1,250,000.
- 2020, Tennessee: $23,500,000 Verdict An intoxicated truck driver rear-ended a retired woman’s vehicle. A medical waste disposal company employed the driver. His truck contained thousands of expired drugs, which included anti-depressants and amphetamines, intended for disposal. He admitted to taking some of them before the incident. The woman suffered soft-tissue shoulder and right foot injuries because of the collision. She was also diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and the aggravation of her pre-existing anxiety and depression. The woman sued both the truck driver and his employer. Her trucking expert noted that the company permitted the driver’s drug use. She also contended that he had little to no supervision. The jury awarded her a $23,500,000 verdict. However, the final judgment amounted to $2,250,000, based on Tennessee’s recoverable damages limit.
- 2020, Florida: $150,000 Verdict A truck driver struck multiple vehicles during busy traffic on Interstate 75. The accident involved nine vehicles. A motorist died at the scene. Another truck was hit, whose driver suffered a disc injury. He sued the defendant truck driver and his employer. The defense counsel contended the man’s injuries and their relation to the collision. The jury awarded the injured truck driver a $150,000 verdict.
- 2020, Kentucky: $7,121,599 Verdict Two brothers were cleaning up debris from a tractor-trailer accident at around 2 AM. They ran a towing and clean-up company. A speeding big rig struck their wrecker, backhoe, and Bobcat loader. One brother suffered a multi-level disc injury that needed fusion surgery. He also underwent a surgical repair of an ulnar injury. The jury awarded him $4,615,075 in special and non-economic damages. He also received $2,000,000 in punitive damages. The other brother suffered a soft-tissue neck injury. The jury awarded him $6,524 in medical expenses and $500,000 in punitive damages. The combined verdict totaled $7,121,599.
- 2020, Georgia: $21,029,363 Verdict A tractor-trailer ran over and killed a 50-year-old pedestrian. The driver told police at the scene he experienced breathing difficulties and passed out right before the accident. He died from unrelated causes shortly after the estate filed suit. The pedestrian’s estate sued his insurer in his place. The jury ruled in favor of the estate and awarded $21,029,363.
- 2020, Louisiana: $798,384 Verdict A Mack truck rear-ended a vehicle that was stopped at a red light in New Orleans. The driver, a local police detective, suffered a concussion and soft-tissue injuries. He underwent chiropractic care, medial branch blocks, and two rhizotomies. His orthopedist noted that he would need cervical disc fusion surgery. The man could no longer enjoy an active lifestyle because of his injuries. A judge awarded him a $798,384 bench verdict.
- 2020, California: $5,500,000 Settlement A registered nurse suffered a traumatic brain injury and neck, back, knee, and shoulder injuries after a truck struck his vehicle head-on. An ambulance took him to the hospital, where doctors immediately performed knee and shoulder surgery on him. He sued the truck driver and his employer. Their counsel contended that the man caused the collision by crossing a double yellow line. They also contended that he was distracted at the time, which prevented him from seeing the truck. The investigating police officer found that only the truck driver was at fault. The case settled for $5,500,000.
- 2020, Louisiana: $4,375,017 Verdict A tractor-trailer owned by Landstar Ranger rear-ended an SUV during busy traffic. The impact caused the vehicle to go off-road and collide into a light pole. First responders arrived and found the driver knocked unconscious. They took him to an emergency room, where staff treated him for a scalp laceration and a concussion. The man also suffered a shoulder tear that was eventually surgically repaired. He also underwent surgical repairs of his thumb and a torn meniscus. His medical team recommended future lumbar and cervical surgeries. The man suffered a traumatic brain injury that exacerbated his anger and explosive outbursts. He can no longer work because of his injuries. The jury awarded him a $4,375,017 verdict.